Choosing the Best Battery for Ford F 350 Diesel
If you own a Ford F 350 Super Duty diesel pickup truck, choosing the best battery for Ford F 350 diesel can be tricky. These powerful diesels have high electrical demands, so you’ll want a battery to handle the load. Let’s discuss the key factors to consider when selecting the best battery for the Ford F 350 diesel, along with specific recommendations.
Focus on Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity
This section should discuss the importance of high CCA and RC for diesel trucks and the recommended minimum specs for the best battery for Ford F 350 diesel.
The biggest factor is cranking amps. Cranking amps measure a battery’s ability to turn over the engine, particularly on cold starts. Diesel engines require much more cranking power due to their higher compression ratios. You’ll want at least 800 to 900 cold cranking amps (CCA) for your F-350 diesel, though 1000 CCA or higher is ideal.
Reserve capacity (RC) also matters. RC indicates how long a battery can provide power between charges. Higher RC means the battery can handle short-term electrical loads better, like running your accessories while idling. Opt for at least 120 to 150 RC minutes for an F-350 diesel.
Choose the Right Battery Size
Size and weight are important considerations when looking for the best Ford F 350 diesel battery. Ford recommends a “Group 31” sized battery for most F-350 Super Duty models. These measure 8 inches by 6 7/8 inches by 11 1/4 inches and weigh around 70 pounds. Larger “Group 38” batteries with 950+ CCA may also fit.
Upgraded “diesel” batteries are specifically formulated to handle diesel engines’ high vibration and temperature extremes. They use glass mat separators to improve corrosion resistance and cycling ability. If possible, always choose a diesel-specific battery for your F-350.
AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and “gold” batteries offer better performance, longevity, and reliability. They use fiberglass mat separators and can better tolerate high heat, vibration, and electrical loads. AGM batteries are a bit pricier but worthwhile for a diesel pickup.
Consider a Diesel-Specific or AGM Battery
Diesel engines place unique demands on their batteries due to:
• Higher levels of engine vibration – caused by the diesel combustion process and larger engine sizes
• Wider temperature extremes – diesel operates at higher temperatures that can shorten battery life
• More electrical load – from accessories like larger alternators, power steering, and air compressors
Diesel-specific batteries are formulated to withstand the higher levels of:
• Vibration – They use advanced AGM or gel separators (instead of liquid electrolyte) that better isolate plates and help maintain integrity under vibration
• Heat – Special alloys, insulation, and additives enable higher maximum temperature tolerance
• Electrical load cycling – Improved plate designs and resistors maintain performance over more charge/discharge cycles
Some battery recommendations
Here, we will give you some of the best recommendations about selecting the battery for the Ford F 350 diesel that may be more beneficial for you.
Optima Batteries 8016-103
This AGM battery has 1150 CCA, 210 RC a, and a Group 31 size rating. It’s designed specifically for diesel engines and offers great durability, performance, and life span.
DieHard Platinum 750CCA
This good-value diesel battery has 800 CCA, 150 RC, and Group 31 size. It uses sealed maintenance-free construction to minimize leakage and maximize performance.
A popular AGM option, this battery sports 1000 CCA, 205 RC, and Group 31. The AGM construction handles extreme vibration and temperatures very well.
Duralast Gold 900CCA
An affordable budget choice, this “gold” battery delivers 900 CCA, 180 RC, and Group 31. It’s engineered for high vibration and built with extra vibration resistance.
Hopefully, this information helps you choose the best battery for a Ford F350 diesel that is running strong. Diesel pickups require a robust battery that can handle their extra electrical demands – so get the highest CCA and RC capacity you can afford. An AGM or “gold” battery may be worth the upgrade if it fits your budget.
Some additional factors to consider when choosing the best battery for Ford F 350 diesel
This final section discusses other attributes like warranty, voltage match, cold weather performance, alternator capacity, installation, price, and maintenance.
- Voltage – Ensure the new battery has the same voltage as the original. All Ford F-350 batteries are 12V.
- Cold climate performance – If you live in a cold climate, get a battery specially designed for cold weather. This ensures better starting power and durability in colder temperatures.
- Alternator – Check that your vehicle’s alternator can handle the higher electrical demands of a higher CCA battery. An upgraded alternator may be needed.
- Warranty – Compare warranties between battery options. Longer warranties provide more peace of mind. 3 to 5 years is typical.
- Installation – Consider whether you’ll install the battery yourself or have a professional install it. Proper installation is important for maximum performance and service life.
- Price – Balance battery features and performance against your budget. You generally get what you pay for, so don’t skimp too much to save a few dollars.
- Maintenance – All batteries require regular maintenance like checking fluid levels and cleaning terminals. Perform this maintenance to maximize battery life.